Last Monday 19th October 2015, the Elective General Assembly of the Association of African Sports Confederations (AASC) was held in Cairo (Egypt). The said elections were attended by Obersvers in representation of the major sporting bodies, namely Mr. Mounir Sabet, IOC Member, Mr. Chibandi Masaasha, from the African Union, and Mr. Lassana Palenfo, Association of National Olympic Committees of Africa (ANOCA) President. Also Mr. Sam Ramsamy, IOC Member, was present between other personalities.
The General Assembly counted with the participation of 41 Confederations, of which 39 had voting right. There were two presidential candidates: Outgoing President Mr. Ahmed Fouli, and Mr. Ahmed Nasser. After a tight voting result, Mr. Ahmed Nasser was declared President with 22 votes against 16 votes received by Mr. Fouli (and one void vote).
The further positions elected at this General Assembly were the following:
• 1st Vice-president: Mbagnick Ndiaye, President of the African Fencing Confederation, Senegal
• 2nd Vice-president: Mesbahi Mohamed Tahar, President of the African Karate Federations Union, Algeria
• General Secretary: Michel TCOYA, Cameroun
• 3rd Vice-president: Carol Garoes, General Secretary of the Association of Women in Sport in Africa, Namibia
• Member: Babou Khaled, President of the African Rugby Confederation, Tunisia
• Member: Mhalhal Khaled, President of the African Weightlifting Confederation, Libya
The WKF would like to congratulate Mr. Mohamed Tahar Mesbahi, current President of UFAK and WKF Vice-president, for his election as 2nd Vice-president of AASC, that once again proves the deep roots of Karate and the WKF inside the sports family at worldwide level.